Who was the first REAL thrash band?
Posted: 21 February 2012 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2012-02-07

I have been at it for years with people over which band first played Real thrash metal. Lots of thrash legends including Kreator have said that Venom was a big influence on them. To me, Venom is not a thrash band. Most of the time I hear ,“Metallica was the first thrash band when they released Kill ‘em All”. I apologize to those who love Metallica and hate what I’m writing but “The Four Horsemen” and “Seek and Destroy” ..... come on!! That is nothing like REAL thrash to my ears. Now…I don’t want a “genre war” over which bands play what kind of music although that is how it always turns out. So… who do YOU think was the first REAL thrash metal band. This is not a test, but no one can ever agree on the same answer it seems. After you guys and gals fight over it a bit, I’ll give you my opinion that I’m sure you don’t want. Good luck!!!

Once again…in other words: What was the first thrash metal band in the history of the world?

Signature 

My only aim is to take many lives. The more, the better I feel!

Posted: 21 February 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2012-02-11
MPetrozzaIsGod - 21 February 2012 04:40 AM

I have been at it for years with people over which band first played Real thrash metal. Lots of thrash legends including Kreator have said that Venom was a big influence on them. To me, Venom is not a thrash band. Most of the time I hear ,“Metallica was the first thrash band when they released Kill ‘em All”. I apologize to those who love Metallica and hate what I’m writing but “The Four Horsemen” and “Seek and Destroy” ..... come on!! That is nothing like REAL thrash to my ears. Now…I don’t want a “genre war” over which bands play what kind of music although that is how it always turns out. So… who do YOU think was the first REAL thrash metal band. This is not a test, but no one can ever agree on the same answer it seems. After you guys and gals fight over it a bit, I’ll give you my opinion that I’ sure you don’t want. Good luck!!!

If ‘Kill ‘em all’ is a thrash metal album it is the result of the unconventional vocals which were rough and mean and not like the high pitched vocals that was common at the time. The reason for this is actually a coincidence since Metallica tried to get John Bush to join the band not only for ‘Kill ‘em all’ but also for ‘Ride the lightning’. With Bush’s vocals on the first Metallica album I would doubt this would have been considered the birth of a new genre. Sure, Bush has been singing with Anthrax (a thrash metal band) since then and there have been plenty of thrash metal bands with high pitched vocals after Metallica but I think the main thing that made Metallica sound different was the vocals.

I am not a huge fan of american thrash bands myself. The only american thrash band I adore is early Slayer even though I like early Metallica and some other stuff. I was never a fan of the melodic Testament, the punky Exodus and the weak-riffing Anthrax.

Signature 

AGAINST RELIGION AND ALL NATIONS FLAGS!

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

So… are the vocals what make a band a “thrash” band to you? To me, it is an overall tone of sorts. Metallica is not thrash in my eyes because of their overall lack of brutality and what I consider a very overrated drummer that doesn’t give them enough sound to be thrash. Also… did you have an answer to “who was the first thrash band”? I’m sorry if I didn’t notice.

I like Slayer as well but they simply pale in comparison to Kreator and Sodom (my 2 favorites) because of overall talent. Slayer doesn’t have much in my opinion, but they manage to throw together some pretty brutal sounds pretty well.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11
MPetrozzaIsGod - 21 February 2012 05:19 AM

So… are the vocals what make a band a “thrash” band to you? To me, it is an overall tone of sorts. Metallica is not thrash in my eyes because of their overall lack of brutality and what I consider a very overrated drummer that doesn’t give them enough sound to be thrash. Also… did you have an answer to “who was the first thrash band”? I’m sorry if I didn’t notice.

I like Slayer as well but they simply pale in comparison to Kreator and Sodom (my 2 favorites) because of overall talent. Slayer doesn’t have much in my opinion, but they manage to throw together some pretty brutal sounds pretty well.

Kreator may be a better band than Slayer but ‘Reign in blood’ doesn’t “pale” against anything.

As for what makes thrash a genre I think it is a combination of stuff. I just don’t think the music alone make ‘Kill ‘em all’ different enough to qualify as something new and unique. I think it is the combination of hard hitting songs with that type of vocals that made it interesting.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Soul Eraser
RankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2012-02-05

It’s difficult to define the first thrash metal band, but one of the pioneers must be Exodus.

Posted: 21 February 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-02-04

I just heard that it’s Tormentor with Blitzkreig demo(I also saw it as Kreator demo anyway the same band different name) in ‘83,I’ve also heard that Tormentor was playing that shit in ‘82.
    I think there’s no specific band that created the genre,I mean at those years some people have a depression which is because of the governments,non-stop and over-speed improving of communication and globalism(for me stupefying people)of the world and that affected every-kind of thoughts,art,literature,philosophy(it’s roots more and more older of course)...Mille was just one of them and he started to reveal his rage and hate with his music.And according to those facts,I think there should be more than one band who started to play thrash in the world.Some of them were in Europe,some of them were in United States and maybe there were some others that we never heard of them.I think we have to look at this topic in this way,because when people try to find a single and only band for this genre,they only fight as Grover says,and it makes the discussion childish.Pioneers exist of course,in everything there are pioneers but not only one generally…Since thrash is kind of philosophy, maybe we can call it as a thought,there shouldn’t be a single one because thoughts are results of experiences and at that years there were more than one people who were experiencing that life and making music…
  And other thing,I only like Kreator and some others like Overkill and Exodus,but not much I just can listen them,not much.For Slayer and also many American bands in thrash(not all),I just read something about them in this forum it was Araya’s sentence and like that,“Don’t take what we are saying very seriously, we don’t.” this shows them they are just guys with money,time and no work to do,so this is the conclusion:show.Just like TV show,empty,without any thought,without any sense and just to spend(waste) time!!

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 21 February 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11

Of course there are also songs that sounded like thrash before there was a thrash genre.

For speed and technique:

Accept ‘Fast as a shark’ made in 1982

For raw sound:

Motörhead ‘Ace of spades’ made in 1980

Songs like this of course had an impact and made bands want to change their sound: “How about making an album where all songs sound like ‘Fast as a shark’?!”

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

Then ‘82 Kreator-Tormentor- wins that title huh?

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 21 February 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Thanks for starting the thread, my friends…There is no REAL correct answer. I think that each person has to look at music and consider what “thrash metal” is. After that, you will have a list of bands that play it. Then you ask yourself “Who did it first”? Dates aren’t necessarily written in stone and the whole genre issue comes into play. For instance, I consider Metallica and Megadeth the pioneers of a new genre dominated by blazing guitars that we always called “speed metal” 15-20 years ago. People don’t use the term “speed metal” much anymore. To me, there is a huge difference in sound between Metallica and Megadeth when you compare them to the greatest and perhaps the first REAL thrash metal band in the world for me… Kreator.

By what I have read and heard in my short time on this lovely planet, and when you throw the bands that I consider to be REAL thrash metal into the equation, there are 3 possibilities (of course this is my opinion as everyone will have their own outlook). My 3 possiblities are the 2 American and “Bay Area” thrash bands from the early ‘80s - Slayer and Exodus. Slayer was around in 1981 and made their first studio release in December of 1983. Exodus formed in 1980 and as most people know, Metallica’s Kirk Hammett left the band in 1983, backing up the first Exodus release until 1985. My 3rd possibility is, of course, Kreator. Kreator was playing under the name “Tormentor” in 1982, and made their first release in 1985, which of course was Endless Pain. According to Wikipedia though, Kreator’s roots trace back to 1978. Now… not much is known about the music they were playing during this period or if it is even true. It is interesting though that Mille turned just 12 years old in 1978 as he was born in 1966.

Those are my 3 possibilities off of the top of my mind (for me) at this moment. If more people give their opinions or facts, my mind may change. As I said before, this is a question that has been asked many times, and since it has a “genre issue”, there is no correct answer. It is merely what each individual person thinks. I would love to know though about Kreator’s roots going back to 1978 and how true that is. For me, if Kreator was making “thrash metal” around 1980, then thrash metal is probably more of a European concept than most people think. Also, Kreator may be the “original” thrash band. I don’t know and I don’t know what to believe. That is why I asked this “question for the ages” with no real answer. Thanks to all that have made their opinions and facts known and I really hope there is more to follow. You guys are the best. Mille thinks that Kreator fans are the most loyal music fans on the planet. He is probably right!

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2012-02-06
Phantom Antichrist - 21 February 2012 02:10 PM

Of course there are also songs that sounded like thrash before there was a thrash genre.

For speed and technique:

Accept ‘Fast as a shark’ made in 1982

i agree that this album had some pretty damn awesome moments that are comparable to what we think of as thrash. definitely influencial!

Signature 

*formerly “mustaine maniac” on the old forum*

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2012-02-05

Well, I think that the question is if this thread is about the thrash-scene which was established in the 80’s or the first band which, let’s say “accidentally”, played a song which would be considered thrash with our present definition. :)

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11
Devastator - 22 February 2012 10:23 PM

Well, I think that the question is if this thread is about the thrash-scene which was established in the 80’s or the first band which, let’s say “accidentally”, played a song which would be considered thrash with our present definition. :)

No, I was just pointing out that it would be very hard to say who was the first thrash metal band because it is a gradual developement. Even if you are the first genuine thrash metal band: Could you really be said to have created the genre when all you did was to make an album with only fast and raw sounding songs when those kind of songs were already played by regular heavy metal bands? Go ahead and call Metallica the first thrash band if you want but can we really say they were doing something that was radically new?

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07
Devastator - 22 February 2012 10:23 PM

I tried to make my question understandable and the harder I tried, the more I screwed it up, maybe…

Simply put:  What was the world’s first TRUE, REAL thrash metal band, in your opinion?

I wasn’t talking about PERSONAL experiences or anything like that. For instance… I was on YouTube and saw a comment that said “Metallica are the fathers of thrash metal”. That comment was normally followed with a comment like “Venom played thrash before Metallica did”. That is what I meant by it….  Who do you consider the world’s first thrash band?

There is no correct answer. It is more a question of “What do you consider “thrash metal” to be and who was the first band to play that style of music? I didn’t really mean played it by accident but the first thrash song could have been an accident of sorts by a band like D.R.I. possibly, in my opinion?...?!!!

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Another way of looking at my question would be looking at it like this…

If you were walking down the street, a stranger walked up to you and asked, “Who was the world’s first thrash metal band?”

What would your answer be?

If that happened to me and I wasn’t going to have to talk about it afterwards, I’d give the credit to Kreator. Metallica may have played “speed metal” before Kreator, but I don’t consider Metallica to be thrash. I hear people give Venom the credit, which makes sense because I have often heard Mille say that Venom was a huge influence on their music… but see… I don’t see Venom as a “thrash” metal band either. If someone threw Slayer or Exodus at me, then it would really come down to which band started playing thrash metal first because I consider all 3 of those bands to play thrash metal.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

According to them,we can say yes there were two or more bands,you know them and first listen then you decide who was the first real goddamn thrash band,huh?

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 23 February 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-02-06

don’t see venom as a thrash band, venom must be pissed of never really sold many records, treated as a joke at the time and now seen as inventors of black metal and thrash?

would like to through in overkill as a band there in the early days and would like to see them mentioned as they were big favourites of mine.

hard to say who the first band were many bands playing thrash in early eighties never got to release records.