< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 9
Religion in music.
Posted: 15 February 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2012-02-07

I’m not necessarily saying that bands that choose to write Satanic Lyrics are not preaching the word, I’m just saying that in the beginning of this metal phase we went through that the majority did it to produce an image. As I said in the original writing to you about Zeena LaVey, lots of early metal was being called satanic or considered that way. I think Zeena was just reinforcing my thought. That interview I saw with her was a long, long time ago. I’m not sure how far along blackmetal had come when she did that interview. Still, to me, I’ll listen to what I want to regardless of lyrical content, and still view it as art. I still believe that most bands that put up the satanic phase, especially in their early days will drop it once they start to make money. Hell… Motley Crue with the facepaint and pentagrams turned many heads until the money started coming in. I think that the newer bands that preach their satanism do believe in it, but just that won’t stray me from listening to it (athough I have never really been into blackmetal, to me there is a lack of talent at that level and many bands start to sound the same after a while). It will always be an expression of art to me. If that is what a band wants to express, it’s a free world and who knows, I might dig their tunes. It isn’t that music is too important for me, it’s simply that I think the music will always have a place in me satanic or not. I still listen to Deicide and everything from their name to their lyrics should turn Christians away. Evil will ALWAYS have a place EVERYWHERE. I can deal with the evil in art, plain and simple.

I don’t look at Tom Araya as a hypocrite, although those Catholics are tough. I see Araya like myself. It is kinda like playing a part in a movie. I remember in Slayer’s early days Araya said, “Don’t take what we are saying very seriously, we don’t.” Just because bands play it doesn’t mean they have to believe it or live it. Don’t think that if you go to Kerry King’s house that he’d say “Come on in. Can I get you a drink? I have calf’s blood, raven’s blood, vampire bat’s blood and some tasty young virgin blood that I keep warm for special occasions like this”. Sorry about saying that, I had to have a little fun. Take care, brother.

Signature 

My only aim is to take many lives. The more, the better I feel!

Posted: 15 February 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2012-02-11

I laugh at the abortion known as Christianity
I’ve seen the ways of God
I’ll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

Skeleton Christ

The pestilence is Jesus Christ
There never was a sacrifice
No man upon the crucifix
Beware the cult of purity
Infectious imbecility
I’ve made my choice. Six six six

Cult

Man made virus infecting the world
Self-destruct human time bomb
What if there is no God would you think the fuckin’ same
Wasting your life in a leap of blind faith
Wake the fuck up can’t ignore what I say
I got my own philosophy

God hates us all

I never for a moment thought that Slayer were satanist but the hostility towards religion comes off as being sincere. You and Slayer must be aware that those lyrics have an affect on young people listening to their music. In an age of rebellion and in search for new role models to replace their parents, they get inspired by the songs they listen too. It would be one thing if they were singing about fictious subjects but the lyrics Slayer sings are much more likely to be taken serious. I don’t see the point of a christian to sing lyrics like that and I honestly think he should leave the band instead of humiliating himself on stage every night.

Even churchgoes love Slayer though

Signature 

AGAINST RELIGION AND ALL NATIONS FLAGS!

Posted: 15 February 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-02-04

First,Devastator,for your last post,I’m saying just that,I agree wtih you,who you are is just your thoughts and beliefs in your mind…
Than,Phantom Antichrist,I totally agree with you in your last post…If someone is saying something,he has got to belong to it or it will be just a lie…That is just betray.
Music is good kind of art of course,but if you are talking about a philosophy in it,it’s not art then…It is just beyond the art,it becomes a kind of belief,a viewpoint.It becomes something serious.

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 15 February 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2012-02-05

And that’s the moment when we have to separate those two points of view.
Of course there are some people who take lyrics serious and use them as a guideline for their acting but in the whole I would say that most people understand that they don’t have to kill others after listening to Cannibal Corpse… :lol:

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11
Devastator - 15 February 2012 07:31 PM

And that’s the moment when we have to separate those two points of view.
Of course there are some people who take lyrics serious and use them as a guideline for their acting but in the whole I would say that most people understand that they don’t have to kill others after listening to Cannibal Corpse… :lol:

Exactly, because it is obvious that the Cannibal corpse-lyrics are fantasy. Just like other Slayer songs like Necrophiliac or Serenity in murder. But there is nothing suggesting that the religious themes in the lyrics I was quoting were supposed to be ironic. Also, I think I am right in saying that Kerry King wrote the lyrics to all those songs and that I am pretty sure he ment what he was writing; to throw “Hail Satan!” and “six six six” in there is more than likely ment as a provocation.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
Phantom Antichrist - 15 February 2012 08:20 PM

Exactly, because it is obvious that the Cannibal corpse-lyrics are fantasy.

This is so true that most of the bands are doing that because they try to make art I think,and this can be a kind of art.
But I think,there are also bands that write lyrics or make songs not only to make art,but also give a message to the people.And I think Kreator is the greatest example for this kind of bands in my opinion.What do you say?

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 15 February 2012 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2012-02-05

Man, this topic is close to the bone… :lol:

Maybe it’s not that easy for everyone to differ fiction from reality. :)
Of course there are bands who mean everything what they say for real. Others don’t.
And the listener himself can decide… ;)

I remember an interwiew with Peavey from the great German band Rage (my second favourite band) where he mentioned the very beginning of their career (under the name Avenger).
People wrote letters to him because of the band’s blasphemic lyrics and asked questions like what rituals they hold before starting a gig. That was the moment when he realized that he has an influence and stopped writing such songs. It was just meant to be provocative first. ;)

But as I mentioned before: Of course there are bands who take it at face value.

Posted: 15 February 2012 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2012-02-13
WeGiveyouPain - 15 February 2012 09:00 PM

This is so true that most of the bands are doing that because they try to make art I think,and this can be a kind of art.
But I think,there are also bands that write lyrics or make songs not only to make art,but also give a message to the people.And I think Kreator is the greatest example for this kind of bands in my opinion.What do you say?

Just don’t take ALL of their lyrics seriously! Think about Pleasure to kill or some other classics… :lol:

Signature 

Quote of this week:“Metal is dead!” - Lars Ulrich

Posted: 15 February 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
The Clansman - 15 February 2012 09:18 PM

Just don’t take ALL of their lyrics seriously! Think about Pleasure to kill or some other classics… :lol:

Yes man I’ve just killed thousands of people an hour ago hahah!

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 15 February 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11

That’s just it. Most bands mix serious lyrics and fantasy lyrics. Often the song has the shape of being fantasy but still have a serious message. But most fans are able to tell the difference.

Kreator is in fact so sure of their audience that they can scream: “Are you ready to kill eachother?!” just as they are about to play their most brutal song. And they know no one will actually go ahead and do it.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2012-02-13
WeGiveyouPain - 15 February 2012 09:22 PM

Yes man I’ve just killed thousands of people an hour ago hahah!

See…the PMRC was right! We should take action against these destructive rock bands with their manipulative lyrics! :lol:

(PS:For the sake of the mentally challenged:The sentence above was pure 100% sarcasm!)

Signature 

Quote of this week:“Metal is dead!” - Lars Ulrich

Posted: 16 February 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
Phantom Antichrist - 15 February 2012 09:39 PM

Kreator is in fact so sure of their audience that they can scream: “Are you ready to kill eachother?!” just as they are about to play their most brutal song. And they know no one will actually go ahead and do it.

First I love that scream then Mille is screaming like this because in his philosophy there is LITTLE Misanthropy in my opinion.hahah
Hail the Metal!!

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 16 February 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-02-06

i have always found the debate with christians on one side and satanists on the other to be ridiculous. i look at satanism being a part of christianity and want no part of christianity. i’m am pretty much non religious although i do like a lot of what the buddhist religion seems to be saying. coming from a mainly christian country and being brought up in that religion i often tell refer to myself as non christian when asked about my religion often to distance myself from the catholic/protestant divide here.

a lot of songs which are against christians/god/religion are good because they seem to bring some extra venom out in the singers i enjoy some of the lyrics quoted here.

i appreciate religion is important to so many people and if it enriches their like then i think its great, i also think it is great if it inspires to live good positive lives helping others etc. but i have always hated that christian refer to these values as belonging to them, in that they don’t refer to people as being good but as having christian values.

anyway thats the way i look at it

Posted: 16 February 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2012-02-06
Phantom Antichrist - 15 February 2012 04:49 PM

I never for a moment thought that Slayer were satanist but the hostility towards religion comes off as being sincere…

I don’t see the point of a christian to sing lyrics like that….

this is my thoughts as well with the recent “the guys in slayer love god” stuff going on. im not saying that there’s no possibility for someone to change their views or find a different way of life - but it seems odd to me when you’ve based your entire existence on saying things like this, to the point where people believe or accept them to be what you believe in or all about. in my eyes its confusing and kind of a let down. everything was false or just a big lie for 20 some years in the history of slayer?

Signature 

*formerly “mustaine maniac” on the old forum*

Posted: 16 February 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
scott mathieson - 16 February 2012 03:46 PM

i appreciate religion is important to so many people and if it enriches their like then i think its great, i also think it is great if it inspires to live good positive lives helping others etc. but i have always hated that christian refer to these values as belonging to them, in that they don’t refer to people as being good but as shaving christian values.

anyway thats the way i look at it

Since I grew up in Islam culture,most of the people are Muslims in my country and I can just say this it’s same here…Religion seems to aim to get people near the truth but in fact it’s really different that’s why I don’t like religions,too!And I think there’s no need to give it a name,if you believe the god,you believe that’s all it’s between god and you…

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 9

‹‹ Vegan Black Metal Chef      Webtrash ››