Since we’re on the “best ever” subjects, what about guitar solo?
Posted: 05 July 2014 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
One of Us
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-26

Personally I have found that the new lineup of Kreator is the best when it comes to guitar solos.  My favorite solos from Kreator come from songs like “Murder Fantasies” and “To the Afterborn.”

Now, best solos ever from anyone, these still stack up.
But, you have another debate.  For the debate, I toss in the following solos:
1 - Testament - As the Seasons Grey, my personal favorite guitar solo ever frankly, and the reason I argue that Skolnick is the world’s greatest guitarist.

2 - Death - Trapped in a Corner, frankly the best example of a two guitarist band with a lead-on solo and a follow-on solo.  Andy LaRocque (from King Diamond) shines in the opening solo before Chuck rips it away for the final bars, to me one solo, two great guitarists to make it happen. 

3 - Motorhead - Burner, frankly I never thought I’d see Motorhead make this list, but Wurzel’s mastery of the weird and wobbly whammy bar offers this piece up.

4 - Arch Enemy - Vultures, and frankly the Amott brothers are amazing guitarists.  See for yourself.

5 - Blind Guardian - A Voice in the Dark, clearly shows you why they’ve lasted so long

6 - Coroner - Son of Lilith, one of many songs that belong on here from them

7 - Carcass - Incarnated Solvent Abuse, Bill Steer and Mike Amott (also from Arch Enemy) certainly tear it up in this one

8 - The Great Kat - Beethoven Mosh, although she has faster and albeit angrier music, this is my favorite of hers.  Plus it illustrates that women can be just as brutal as men.

9 - Mercyful Fate - The Old Oak, 2 guitarists trading licks never sounded so good, and to me is one long solo performed by two masters of the trade.

10 - Sepultura - Subtraction, personally I feel that Andreas Kisser is the most underrated of the lead guitarists of his generation.

Now throw in the Kreator solos, and see which ones you like most.

Personally, I’m sticking with Skolnick, but Kreator definitely fits in this list

Signature 

DOA # 02-00044

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib/finest.jpg

Posted: 05 July 2014 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
One of Us
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2014-04-21

Best ever solos? Ah yeah, that sure is a hard one but I’ll give it a crack anyway.

From Kreator, my favourites right now are “Voices Of The Dead”, “Murder Fantasies”, “The Ancient Plague”, “Your Heaven My Hell”, “Civilisation Collapse”.

From anyone, the best at the moment are (in no particular order);

Nevermore - “The Obsidian Conspiracy”, “This Godless Endeavor”, “My Acid Words” (live), “Born” (live), “I Voyager” (live)
Dream Theater - “Constant Motion”, “Dark Eternal Night”, “Surrounded” (live), “The Best Of Times”, “Under A Glass Moon”
Hammerfall - “Hammer Of Justice”
Jeff Loomis - “Devil Theory”, “Miles Of Machines”
Lazarus A.D - “Revolution”
Megadeth - “Hanger 18”, “She Wolf” (live)
Obituary - “Fields Of Pain”
Pantera - “Cemetary Gates”
Rhapsody Of Fire - “Tempesta Di Fuoco”
Trivium - “The Crusade”, “Strife”, “Anthem (We Are The Fire)”
Cacophony - “Concerto”

I can’t pick just one guitarist as a standout as the styles are so varied. But if I was learning to play a guitar myself, in a perfect world, I would have a blend of John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis. Being able to play with the powerful control of John’s alternate picking along with his progressive sense of melody/harmony and add to that the crazy flair of Jeff’s sweep picking of arpeggios, would be guitar nirvana for me.

Posted: 06 July 2014 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
One of Us
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-26

I can definitely see the logic in your words, my friend.  And there is nothing wrong with Loomis or Petrucci.  I’ve always had this thing for heavy + melodic, Metallica tried it a little bit in Creeping Death’s solo, Megadeth tried it in Tornado of Souls, but the real masters of the art are Skolnick (pick one, the dude’s awesome, though I still offer up As the Seasons Grey), but Arch Enemy are constants with it.  And Death was known for adding it in their last few albums also.  Hearing Kreator hit some of those melodic/harmonic solos in songs like Murder Fantasies was just amazing to me, and I hope they keep it coming!  Plus, it keeps my chops up and gives me lots of material to practice when the Army puts me in retarded places.
Don

Signature 

DOA # 02-00044

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib/finest.jpg