< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Holy cows in the setlist?
Posted: 13 February 2012 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-02-06

yes phantom as i have already said previously i would enjoy any of those sets you put, just dying to say i understand that first time people want hear a lot of the classics.

on what makes them classic, a lot to do with the band always playing them, sometimes songs that were particularly good on live releases.

the more you like a band and have seen them often, you want more surprise, motorhead is a good example as i have seen them countless times and to be honest wouldn’t go out of way to see them the only songs you wouldn’t guess before hand is the sons from overkill and spades albums “they seem to rotate through those whole albums”

as for saving time and money it depends on you circumstances, my have changed recently so getting to more gigs and planning on going to mainland europe twice a year for festivals. don’t think kreator have ever played in northern ireland and its been a decade since they played in southern ireland. my choice of summer festival was based on a list of bands i would like to see, kreator being pretty much top of the list, only disappointment is that the album won’t really be out so chances are few songs from it, i’m assuming they will headline one of the nights so hoping they get decent stage time. there are a few songs.

also wondering how you feel about just playing songs from “classic” albums which seems to be popular at the moment. at eindhoven heathen, destruction, exodus and sepultura did this. had to avoid the internet for weeks before as i wanted to be surprised by what the bands played. the reality was pretty mixed anyway going by the way they did it krater would be playing songs from terrible certainty and before. i’m not sure the band would actually go for this i don’t know.

Posted: 14 February 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-02-07

If you have never seen Kreator before, this story may be boring so I appreciate all who read it:

When I first saw them live, I was thinking, “It would be super cool for them to start the show with “Some Pain Will Last”. I really thought with the drums that start that song, followed by the powerful but slow riffs leading into lyrics that say “Some pain will last…LAST FOREVER!!” I thought there was no better way to start the show. When the show started, it was nearly pitch black dark, with Ventor beating the drums to “Some Pain Will Last”...then before the guitars started, some dim lights lit up the guitarists and bassist and the guys were turned towards Ventor. As the guitars started, Mille. Tritze, and Rob turned around and the headbanging started from one end of the venue to the other. To me, there was nothing like it. It was my first REAL concert (I had seen Death play multiple times in tiny venues before they got big) and I became a Kreator fan for life. Sure, it wasn’t the coolest story in the world, but to me… I’ll never forget it. It almost made me feel as if Kreator was there to tear each and everyone’s hearts out of their chests only to stick them back in before anyone died. And I felt that it was being done FOR ME. I’ll NEVER forget it. Meeting the guys after the show was pretty cool as well, even if it was just for a handshake and me saying “awesome show”.

I hope you get to see your first Kreator show soon, and I hope that your experience was just as exhilarating as mine was for me. Besides the birth of my 2 future Kreator fan daughters, the oldest of which will be 13 when I take her to her first Kreator show, I have experienced no better show, no better time, and especially no more legal brutality as I was beat to hell in the crowd and I loved every second of it. Mille and Ventor were awesome live then. Mille, Ventor, Speesy, and especially Sami are now by far the BEST live show in the world. Whether their setlists are too repetitive, have too many staples, or they play nothing but Metallica covers all night, expect the time of your life. I’m sorry about the Metallica comment. To me. Metallica was great when they were a speed metal band but since they have been nothing but a mainstream rock-n-roll band, and they were never, ever, EVER a thrash metal band. People say that Kill ‘em All was great thrash metal… The Four Horseman? come on. That Kill’em all stuff was never thrash, and if it was, what was Kreator through the years?

Signature 

My only aim is to take many lives. The more, the better I feel!

Posted: 14 February 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  427
Joined  2012-02-11
scott mathieson - 13 February 2012 08:10 PM

also wondering how you feel about just playing songs from “classic” albums which seems to be popular at the moment. at eindhoven heathen, destruction, exodus and sepultura did this. had to avoid the internet for weeks before as i wanted to be surprised by what the bands played. the reality was pretty mixed anyway going by the way they did it krater would be playing songs from terrible certainty and before. i’m not sure the band would actually go for this i don’t know.

By “only playing songs from classic albums” do you mean the kind of shows where a band play a whole album from beginning to end like Judas Priest playing British steel and Slayer playing the whole Reign in Blood? Or do you just mean that they play only from classic albums in general? I think most old bands tend to do this; they play songs from the latest album and the rest of the songs are songs from their most popular period. Kreator do try to play some songs from the 90’s though. Phobia is played every show and Lost and Renewal is also played from time to time it seems. They also play a few songs from the newer albums like Violent revolution and Enemy of God. But most of the songs are concentrated around the Pleasure to Kill/Extreme aggression period I would say.

I have no problem with this. I really feel that the old stuff and the more recent stuff has the best material. But, as you should know by now, I like surprises! I would love to hear songs like Pandemonium or Bomb threat.

Signature 

AGAINST RELIGION AND ALL NATIONS FLAGS!

Posted: 14 February 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-02-06

the tour i’m talking about was billed as a return to the eighties (not quite correct) so the bands would be playing songs fro early albums only, for example exodus played a few songs from pleasures of the flesh and fabulous disaster and the rest of the set from bonded by blood.

sepultura for me were rubbish, exodus weren’t great due to the vocals, destruction were absolutely amazing.

if kreator had been part of this a possible set list would be from the first 3 albums only, but not playing the whole album, think the idea was to recreate the sts the band would have been playing in the eighties.

destruction were good because they can still play the old stuff well as it’s still relevant to their current style and quality.

i think kreator could do this well but not sure the band would want to as they seem so happy that new songs stand up so well next to old material.

i

Posted: 22 February 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11

As some of you know I tried to get the top posters to put together a Kreator-setlist by choosing a song each (some got to choose two). This is the result!

1. MPetrozzaIsGod chose Under the Guillotine

2. scott amthieson chose Voices of the Dead

3. lordcatfish chose Storming with Menace

4. WeGiveyouPain chose Radical Resistance

5. Yuka chose When the Sun Burns Red

6. dOT rOT Thrash chose Behind the Mirror

7.The Clansman chose Everlasting flame

8. Phantom Antichrist chose Take their lives

9. WeGiveyouPain chose The Second Awakening

10. MPetrozzaIsGod chose Some Pain will Last

11. Devastator chose The Ancient Plague

12. Yuka chose The Golden Age

13. Morphy coose Terror Zone

14. Jack The Viking chose Love us or Hate us

15. lordcatfish choose Hidden Dictator

16. dOT rOT Thrash chose Future Ring

17. The Clansman chose Murder Fantasies

18. Beerlover chose Toxic trace

I was surprised by the result since several people seemed to be very conservative when it came to what a Kreator setlist should look like. Looking at this list it turns out that you are not so conservative after all. I don’t find a single staple on this list! No Pleasure to kill. No Betrayer. No Flag of Hate. No Tormentor. No Terrible Certainty. No Enemy of God or People of the lie.

Instead we have a list that consist mostly of midtempo and slow songs (by Kreator-standards). It seems that people are more fond of the albums from Endorama to Enemy of God than I thought they would be (No less than three songs from Endorama!).

If someone want to arrange this into a setlist you are free to do so. Which of these songs should be a good encore or opening song? What do you all think?

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-02-07

That setlist doesn’t surprise me as it was made by Kreator veterans. It does make me wonder what the new Kreator fan would think while walking out of the place after seeing that show. I chose 2 songs that I had already seen live but I wouldn’t consider either of my picks “holy cows” of a typical Kreator show. I would dig watching Kreator stand up and play an hour’s worth of Bee Gee’s covers but I think this setlist needs a few “holy cows” and maybe an intermission or two including a Mille and Sami sitar duet. I’m not disappointed but I think that this setlist may leave the average Kreator fan a bit unfulfilled. Wow… Hmmmm.

To be continued….

Signature 

My only aim is to take many lives. The more, the better I feel!

Posted: 22 February 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2012-02-05
Phantom Antichrist - 22 February 2012 02:18 PM

People of the lie

I thought about this song to be my number 2 but decided to mention just one. Taking a look at the final set list, my opinion is that it’s greatly balanced. A great mixture of older and newer stuff!

Posted: 22 February 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-02-04
MPetrozzaIsGod - 22 February 2012 06:19 PM

maybe an intermission or two including a Mille and Sami sitar duet..

This is the idea! I would never even imagine that!! Just took my breathe away.
Guess we just screwed up about setlist,it seems really complex and as I said before Kreator’s shows are kind of ritual in my opinion,very simply like this,first they aware people with Impossible Brutality and show what’s going on with the world and then they give a solution with Violent Revolution then they say how it can be done with Flag of Hate…Those are just the very simple and thoughtless examples but I think you get what I mean Hordes!!

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 23 February 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Soul Eraser
RankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2012-02-05

I really like to hear the regular songs live like Pleasure to Kill, Flag of Hate, Tormentor, Enemy of God…  Actually I wanted to pick up one, but I thought someone would.  So just thought it might be nice to pick up a song which isn’t played so much now. ;)  It must be hard to make a setlist like we chose, but a song or 2 from ours can be added for new tours? ;)           

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Phantom Antichrist
RankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2012-02-05

It does not necessarily have to be our complete Setlist,but the foothills 2-3 Songs a certain surprise Factor in itself would be very nice.

Let’s be honest,in recent Years,the Setlist is not really surprised. But I understand the Band,because every Fan wants to hear different Songs.

Signature 

This is a Song,which I use to describe,what I feel about People like you…

Posted: 23 February 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Phantom Antichrist
RankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2012-02-04

1. MPetrozzaIsGod chose Under the Guillotine

2. scott amthieson chose Voices of the Dead

3. lordcatfish chose Storming with Menace

4. WeGiveyouPain chose Radical Resistance

5. Yuka chose When the Sun Burns Red

6. dOT rOT Thrash chose Behind the Mirror

7.The Clansman chose Everlasting flame

8. Phantom Antichrist chose Take their lives

9. WeGiveyouPain chose The Second Awakening

10. MPetrozzaIsGod chose Some Pain will Last

11. Devastator chose The Ancient Plague

12. Yuka chose The Golden Age

13. Morphy coose Terror Zone

14. Jack The Viking chose Love us or Hate us

15. lordcatfish choose Hidden Dictator

16. dOT rOT Thrash chose Future King

17. The Clansman chose Murder Fantasies

18. Beerlover chose Toxic trace

God dammit this is one AWESOME setlist.

Signature 

Now rain shall wash away sad remains of man
Cities once so proud will crumble into sand
Buildings all collapse when all is done and said
The guilty ones will die with the innocent…

Posted: 23 February 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2012-02-13

I REALLY didn’t want to get into this conversation,because as a “veteran” Kreator fan,who was lucky enough to actually meet and talk to the members of the band several times,I know very well how a setlist is made in reality and how it differs from a “dream”-setlist.I also know that having a conversation about a possible setlist can be fun,but ultimately a pointless exercise.Pointless,because we all know that it will not effect the real setlist on the next tour,and pointless because everyone’s taste differs,so there’s never gonna be a conclusion that would satisfy everyone.Thanks to Phantom who just proved that I’m right about this.I chose my 2 songs because they are the embodiment of what this band is all about and why I love them so much.Meaningful lyrics and beautiful harmonies (Everlasting Flame) and sheer brutality and powerful music (Murder Fantasies) This is art! Even though I participated in this fun little game,I am very well awared that it will change nothing,and I already know what should I expect to hear when I’ll go to see them next time.

Signature 

Quote of this week:“Metal is dead!” - Lars Ulrich

Posted: 23 February 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2012-02-06

i simply picked a couple songs that i’ve never seen them play before because after a dozen gigs, seeing phobia just doesnt really do it for me anymore. i was overly excited when they added the pestilence to the last tour. that’s in my top 3 favorite songs, and the brutality in a live format is insane! i want them to keep throwing little surprises like that out there!

Signature 

*formerly “mustaine maniac” on the old forum*

Posted: 23 February 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-02-04

I chose mine,Second Awakening and Radical Resistance,because these songs telling people to aware,awake and unite to fight with it.Because I just can’t bear that machinery and senseless run for material things and living without any real human feelings.This is my fantasy as you see…
But I totally agree with that,one or two surprises would be really great,thanks for that topic,I understood that! When I am there and they suddenly play a surprise song,I can imagine my and Hordes’ face expressions!!

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 23 February 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-11

Just for fun I put together three new setlists in the same way I did the first time (with songs in rotation) but this time I combined the classics with the songs we voted for. I tried to do this in order to make more realistic setlists that included several “staples”.

Setlist A

1. Terror Zone
2. Hordes of Chaos
3. Toxic Trace
4. Murder Fantasies
5. Radical Resistance
6. Betrayer
7. Take their lives
8. Voices of the Dead
9. Storming with Menace
10. Future King
11. Pleasure to Kill
12. When the Sun Burns Red
13. Extreme Aggression
14. People of the Lie
———————————————
15. Some Pain will Last
16. Violent Revolution
17. Flag of Hate/Tormentor

Setlist B

1. Terror Zone
2. Hordes of Chaos
3. The Second Awakening
4. When the Sun Burns Red
5. Radical Resistance
6. Under the Guillotine
7. Take their lives
8. Voices of the Dead
9. Love us or Hate us
10. Everlasting Flame
11. Pleasure to Kill
12. Terrible Certainty
13. Extreme Aggression
14. People of the Lie
——————————————
15. Behind the Mirror
16. Enemy of God

Setlist C

1. Terror Zone
2. Hordes of Chaos
3. Phobia
4. Future King
5. Radical Resistance
6. Coma of Souls
7. Take their lives
8. Voices of the Dead
9. Love us or Hate us
10. The Ancient Plague
11. Pleasure to Kill
12. Hidden Dictator
13. Extreme Aggression
14. People of the Lie
—————————————
15. Golden Age
16. Under the Guillotine

I tried to make all voters happy. Your songs of choice may not be included in all three setlists but probably in two of them. Some of our chosen songs are in all three lists. By an extraordinary coincidence, my own song is one of these, ‘Take their Lives’. Not only because I am a selfish bastard but also because both dOT rOT Thrash and The Clansman has spilled love over this song in other threads. ‘Radical Resistance’ was the first choice of both Jack the viking and WeGiveyouPain and was also included on all three lists. Since poor scott amthieson only got to chose one song ‘Voices of the Dead’ (and this song could almost be considered a “staple” nowadays) so I included it on all three lists as well. Beerlover only had his song of choice (‘Toxic Trace’) in one of the setlists but his first choice was actually ‘Love us or Hate us’ which is included in the other two lists. The same thing goes for Devastator’s choice (‘The Ancient Plague’) which was only included in setlist C, but since he wrote that he was thinking about choosing ‘People of the Lie’ I included that one on all three lists as well.

I also spent some time thinking about the structure of the setlists. I thought Morphy’s only choice ‘Terror zone’ would make a great opener with it’s majestic intro. I also thought that ‘Pleasure to Kill’ would give some fuel to the fire after the slow burning ‘The Ancient Plague’ and the Endorama songs. ‘Some Pain will Last’, ‘Behind the Mirror’ and ‘Golden Age’ all make good openers for the second part of the set when the band comes back for the encores. I tried to spread out the songs from Terrible Certainty, Enemy of God and Endorama albums so that they would not all be played during the same show. And I gave you your beloved Flag of Hate/Tormentor medley as a closer (even though I presonally could do without it).

So, are you all happy with these setlists? Which show would you most like to see out of these three?

Signature 

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3