Your favourite record format?
Posted: 13 April 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-04-12

The title says it all: Vinyl, CD, MP3, anything else? What is your favourite record format?

I personally prefer the CD. If you need any digital version of your album you can alway rip it, but vice versa you won’t get a CD as good as the pressed version if you burn it using lossy formats like MP3 or AAC. Vinyl has - theoretically spoken - an infinite resolution while CDs are restricted to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz (Seen this way, the CD is a lossy format ;)). Vinyl is a nice thing to have, especially when you like cover art, and of course its sound, that magic aura when played… But it is not as versatile as the CD, and it is veeery expensive to get good sound quality out of vinyl records, the prices of good record players are really high… Even vinyl records themselves are expensive. That breaks the deal for me, though I often enjoy listening to it when I’m around at people who have a nice sortiment and good equipment to play it.

So, I usually buy CDs. Well, there are some exceptions, like the Phantom Antichrist single that is not available on CD, but… yeah, first choice is the CD version of an album.

Posted: 13 April 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Impossible To Cure
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1110
Joined  2012-02-19

I like vinyl.

Signature 

STEVE “ZETRO” SOUZA IS KING

Posted: 13 April 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2012-02-13

For me,nothing beats a 320kbps MP3. I’m not a hi-fi maniac,so the sound quality is good for me,it’s sharp and crystal clear,and definitely the most practical way to listen music,especially for me who barely listens to music anywhere else,but in my car.

Signature 

Quote of this week:“Metal is dead!” - Lars Ulrich

Posted: 13 April 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-04-12

Even hi-fi freaks aren’t able to tell the difference between a good 256 kbps MP3 and the original CD… The German computer magazine c’t did a blind test a while ago. It seems that only people whose ears are not working like they should can tell a difference as MP3 is made for the average human ear. For listening in car and with portable players MP3 is the best I think, but for me MP3 is not usable for converting into other formats because the audio losses add up. Eventually you will hear it.

Posted: 13 April 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2012-02-29

I love CD’s. I’m a sucker for the booklet and to me there’s something awesome about seeing a perfectly alphabetized shelf of CD’s. i don’t know why… just one of those things that makes me happy haha.
I also like vinyl but usually when it comes to other genres of music and older metal records. Just for example Exodus’ Fabulous Disaster would sound much better to me on vinyl than Tempo of the Damned would.

Posted: 13 April 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bringer Of Torture
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2012-02-06

interesting question! i guess i love anything i can get my hands on. CD’s are the best although i immediately rip them all and put them onto my ipod. vinyl is nice because it sounds cool, and tapes are killer because that’s the format alot of us grew up with while being into metal.

Signature 

*formerly “mustaine maniac” on the old forum*

Posted: 13 April 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2012-02-05

Good question but my answer has to be: All of them! :D

I collect tapes, CDs, vinyl and everything that has good music on it. Though I need to say that I love the big cover-format of the good old vinyl.
Also I’m not audiophile at all, so I can’t join the mp3 vs. vinyl discussion. As long as I don’t have to listen to 64 kbit/s youtube-rip-offs…

Posted: 14 April 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Son Of Evil
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-02-04

I wish I could have tapes.

I agree with Devestator.All of ‘em is okay with me as long as they sound good.

Signature 

CIVILIZATION COLLAPSE

Posted: 21 April 2012 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
One of Us
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-21

Mp 3 format allows saving my storage capacity without notifying me.Multinational companies and even small production houses are building up based on the aspect of mp3. The details can be learnt here which is developed by an author, Prodigy.

Posted: 01 May 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2012-02-05

I buy all my music on CD, but I rip it all onto my pc and then iPod. I like having CDs and looking through the booklet, reading lyrics and such, but I usually listen to music from either my pc or iPod.

Signature 

Too proud to scream, too proud to beg for mercy, you will die by the executioner’s hand, under the guillotine!

Posted: 02 May 2012 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Willing Spirit
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-02-05

Vinyl

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Phantom Antichrist
RankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2012-02-05

I also prefer Vinyl!

Signature 

This is a Song,which I use to describe,what I feel about People like you…

Posted: 14 June 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Soul Eraser
RankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2012-06-11
Rui Alba - 02 May 2012 01:53 AM

Vinyl

vinyl